Wednesday, June 24, 2026

Dealing with Moments of Discouragement

 

No matter how committed you are to a goal, there will be moments of discouragement. It doesn't matter whether you are building a business, creating art, writing books, learning a skill, or pursuing a dream that means something to you. Doubt has a way of showing up from time to time.

Sometimes the discouragement comes because progress isn't happening as quickly as you hoped. You put in the work day after day, but the results don't seem to match the effort. Other times it comes from temporary setbacks. A project fails. An opportunity disappears. The audience doesn't respond. The breakthrough you expected never arrives. In those moments, it is easy to question whether the journey is worth continuing.

I have experienced those moments myself more times than I can count. There have been times when I seriously considered quitting. Times when I wondered if all the effort was worth it. Times when I questioned whether I was spending my time wisely.

But whenever I sat down and honestly thought about it, I always ended up asking myself one simple question:

"What else would I do with my time?"

Every time I asked myself that question, I arrived at the same answer.

I couldn't imagine not doing what I do.

Creating, building, writing, learning, and pursuing ideas have become such a large part of my life that I don't know who I would be without them. They are not simply hobbies or activities that fill empty hours. They have become part of my identity.

So I keep going.

Call it stubbornness. Call it determination. Call it not knowing when to quit. Whatever the label may be, I always find myself returning to the work. After the doubt passes, I sit back down and continue moving forward.

If you are facing a moment of discouragement, try asking yourself a different question.

How would you feel one year from now if you quit today?

Would you feel relieved?

Or would you feel like there was a void in your life?

Would you constantly wonder what might have happened if you had continued?

Would you regret walking away?

The answers to those questions can tell you a lot about what truly matters to you.

Another important question to ask yourself is whether what you are doing feels like who you really are.

Not what others expect you to be.

Not what society says you should be.

Not what is popular or fashionable.

Who you really are.

When your work, your goals, and your efforts feel connected to your authentic self, something important happens. The journey becomes more than simply achieving an outcome. It becomes an expression of who you are.

That doesn't mean the road becomes easy. It doesn't mean you won't have setbacks. It doesn't mean you won't experience frustration or disappointment.

It simply means that the effort itself has meaning.

And when something has meaning, it becomes much easier to endure the difficult days.

One thing that has always helped me is reading about people who refused to give up. Study the lives of successful people and you will quickly discover a common pattern. Very few experienced a smooth path to success.

Many faced repeated failures.

Many were rejected countless times.

Many spent years working toward goals that seemed impossible.

Some lost money. Some lost opportunities. Some endured criticism. Some were told repeatedly that they would never succeed.

Yet they continued.

They kept moving forward when the outcome was uncertain.

They kept going when there was no guarantee their efforts would ever pay off.

Those stories are powerful because they remind us that perseverance is often the difference between those who eventually succeed and those who give up too soon.

They are stories of dedication.

Stories of determination.

Stories of resilience.

Stories of people who decided that temporary discouragement would not define the rest of their lives.

As Daydream Warriors, we must remember that moments of discouragement are normal. They are part of the journey. They do not mean you are on the wrong path. They do not mean you should quit. They simply mean you are human.

When those moments arrive, pause and reflect.

Ask yourself who you would be without the dream.

Ask yourself how you would feel if you walked away.

Ask yourself whether what you are doing is an expression of your authentic self.

If the answer is yes, then get back up and keep moving.

The discouragement will pass.

The setback will pass.

The doubt will pass.

But the person you become by refusing to give up will remain.

And sometimes, that growth is worth more than the destination itself.

Bob Craypoe 
Founder of Craypoe Productions and Daydream Warrior 

No comments:

Post a Comment