One of the greatest obstacles to personal growth is not always what other people think about us. Sometimes, it is what we think about ourselves.
Many people carry the weight of mistakes they made years ago. They replay them in their minds over and over, allowing guilt and shame to become part of their identity. Instead of saying, "I made terrible mistakes," they begin telling themselves, "I am a terrible person."
There is an important difference between those two statements.
When we refuse to forgive ourselves, it can become self-destructive. It can create a feeling of futility. We may begin to wonder, "What's the point of trying to become a better person? I've already done things that can never be undone." If that mindset takes hold, it can stop personal development before it even has a chance to begin.
But there is another way to look at it.
The very fact that you feel genuine shame or regret over something you did in the past is often a positive sign. It means you recognize that what you did was wrong. Your conscience is working. You are no longer trying to justify your actions or convince yourself that they were acceptable.
That realization represents growth.
Even more importantly, if you no longer behave that way, then you have already changed. If you have made the decision that you never want to repeat those mistakes again, that is another sign that your character has developed.
Too often, we judge ourselves by the worst thing we have ever done instead of by the person we are actively becoming.
None of us can change the past. We cannot erase poor decisions, careless words, or moments we wish had never happened. But we can decide what kind of person we will be today and tomorrow.
Growth is not pretending the past never happened.
Growth is honestly acknowledging it, learning from it, accepting responsibility for it, and allowing those lessons to shape a better version of ourselves.
Self-forgiveness is not about pretending that our mistakes were acceptable. It is not about avoiding responsibility. It is about recognizing that once we have learned the lesson, continuing to punish ourselves serves no useful purpose. It doesn't undo the past. It only prevents us from building a better future.
I know from my own life that there have been things I wish I had handled differently. There have been times when I looked back and wished I had made better decisions. But if I continued judging myself only by those moments, I would never appreciate how much I have changed over the years.
Personal growth requires us to recognize our progress.
Sometimes we become so focused on where we still want to go that we forget how far we have already come.
Take a moment to ask yourself a few questions.
- Do I recognize that those actions were wrong?
- Have I changed my thinking since then?
- Do I still behave that way today?
- Do I genuinely want to continue becoming a better person?
If your honest answer to those questions is yes, then you are already moving in the right direction.
Don't allow an old version of yourself to define the person you are becoming.
You are not the same person you were years ago. Every lesson you have learned, every mistake you have grown from, every improvement you have made has helped shape the person you are today.
Acknowledge those positive changes.
Give yourself credit for the progress you have made.
Then keep growing.
The goal of life isn't to become someone who has never made mistakes. That person doesn't exist.
The goal is to become someone who learns from those mistakes, changes because of them, and uses those experiences to become wiser, kinder, stronger, and more compassionate than they were before.
Tell yourself, and believe it:
I am not that person anymore.
I am a better person today than I was yesterday.
And tomorrow, I will continue becoming an even better version of myself.
Bob Craypoe
Founder of Craypoe Productions and Daydream Warrior

No comments:
Post a Comment